Tuesday, January 25, 2011


I have set about to do something impossible: to write about about the immediate experience of writing. One has to get some distance somewhere. I have chosen to use music to put myself somewhat elsewhere to write about being here. This way I can only hear some of what’s going on around me. This is similar to Virginia Woolf’s goal of “life-writing” but differs in its conceptualization of the writing process. Language alienates its subject, and the signification process may only take place in the gap between the subject and the object of representation, or, as the case may be, the gap between the subject and itself. Case in point I’m writing theoretically about how to write experience as it unfolds rather than doing so.

Again there is someone diligently writing in a small notebook with whom I am fascinated.

No comments:

Post a Comment